Thursday, October 3, 2013

Smoking Cattails

As kids, my friends and I would collect dried cattails, light the ends and pretend we were smoking cigars. The cattail would slowly burn and produce a steady stream of smoke.

End of summer cattail stand

Sometimes we would pick the cattails before they were thoroughly dry. We would lay them out on the roof of a metal shed allowing the sun to beat down on them. The heat off the metal roof quickened the drying process. At times we would get impatient and try unsuccessfully to light the "green" cattails.  

Cattails can be burned to deter mosquitoes

One day we thought we could bypass the complete drying process by adding an accelerate to the cattail. We found an old lawnmower next to a barn and dipped the cattails into the gas tank. After several attempts, we were successful in lighting our “cigars” and proudly raised them - flames and all - in a celebratory toast to our success.

Muskrats feed on the shoots of cattails

It was then that I saw my mother speed walking in our direction. A neighbor had been watching and called her. I never saw my mother walk so fast or look so angry. My friends scattered leaving me there alone as I waited her approach and reprimand. 

I received one of the harshest scolding’s in my life. I stood in fear as I listened to her shout and flail her arms about. Her face grew redder and redder. I was in trouble, big trouble. After all, I was playing with matches and gasoline next to an old wooden barn. Throughout her scolding she painted a vivid picture of roaring flames, screaming children and hundreds of fire trucks. Later that day, I had difficulty sitting down due to a whole different kind of burning sensation.

 Hundreds of seedlings are released when shaken

Slowly burning cattails can act as an effective mosquito deterrent. Young cattail shoots are desirable food for muskrats and humans. The leaves can be used to weave mats. Birds like the red-winged blackbird nest in the thick clusters of leaves and stems.
 
The largest stand of cattails in Onondaga County is in the Hamlin Wildlife Management Area in the town of Clay.
The well-dried out puffy looking cattails will “explode” with hundreds of seedlings when shaken or pounded upon.

14 comments:

  1. Loved ur narratuve. Wanted to read more lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. many fond memories of smoking cattails, esp. while watching fireworks with friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. Story was great.. can't imagine how many of us kids growing up have been there! not anymore, God bless those days!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid in NJ we used to refer to them as punks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes punks. Grew up in Passaic.

      Delete
    2. Us too. I would love to find them now to use once again as a mosquito repellent

      Delete
    3. That's right swamp punks in South Trenton

      Delete
  5. How long do you need to dry them out before burning them as "punks"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's what we call them to. "Punks". I just burnt 2 last night while cooking on the grill.
      I picked a few down at a nearby swamp on a back road and laid them out indirect sunlight for five or six days putting them away at night though keep them out of the rain if it did rain.

      East Brunswick New Jersey

      Delete
    2. Now that I'm sitting here at work thinking about punks and posting stuff on the internet I just ordered a pair of waders on Amazon should have them in about 3 days now I can get out to the middle of the swap on that back road and pick those big ones that I seen out there. Lol

      Born 1959..

      East Brunswick New Jersey

      Delete
  6. In the late sixties in the early we used to call them punks or cattails and did exactly the same thing except we did not get caught, hahaha
    What great memories of those times, early June hunting cattails to dry out my garage and then use them the light fireworks or just surrounding areas to repel mosquitoes, people forget about that and it's a shame they will use all these chemicals in their yards on their skin or whatever to get rid of a mosquito when all you need is little labor to get them and the lonely catail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the middle of March and I just picked some beautiful cattails out of our lake.Gonna dry them for flower arrangements and keep some to burn for the moquitos. They are vicious down here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from CT and remember smoking them. We called them punks. We thought we were hot stuff.

    ReplyDelete