Wednesday, August 21, 2013

In My Milkweed Patch

I have been watching a patch of  milkweed plants as they blossomed and now as their seed pods develop. I like milkweed because it attracts monarch butterflies. As I searched for monarch caterpillars I saw a variety of other life utilizing the milkweed plant.

Milkweed blossom

Milkweed plant with seed pods forming

 Leaf-legged bug and yellow grasshopper

On the milkweed plants I found a yellow grasshopper, leaf-legged bug, tussock moth caterpillar, snail and a boxelder bug.

The only surprise with the grass hopper was it's yellow color. It really stood out on the dark green leaves.

The partially yellow antennae and legs of the leaf-footed bug (also called a squash bug) was a little different too. It was very elusive as I tried to get its picture. It would keep crawling away and under the leaves.

It named from structures along it's back legs that are flat and serrated like a leaf. It is related to the stink bugs and can produce a strong stink of its own when threatened.

The black and red harlequin patterned boxelder bug is very common on milkweed. They are typically plant eaters, sucking the sap of a plant.

Boxelder bug

Leaf-footed bug

Snail on milkweed leaf

Tussock moth caterpillar


The snail was eating the leaf of the milkweed which is a little surprising because the white latex-like sap is toxic to many animals.

The tussock caterpillar looks warm and fuzzy, but don't be fooled by its appearance -  be warned. More about that in another post.
I didn't see any monarch caterpillars this time, but I will keep looking.


1 comment:

  1. I've been "box elder bugs" called "milkweed bugs" in insect ID books, Paul.
    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete